Know that We are His
by Andy Cokayne 13 December 2021
At school I had a friend called Chris, he was only small, but I can remember his answer whenever he was challenged about his size “Dynamite comes in small packages.” This is only a short Psalm, but it is packed with dynamite.
It may be a challenge too far to shout at the moment, but the Psalmist encourages/ challenges us to shout for joy to the Lord. You may say “What? Now?” We are in the middle of a global pandemic. I am unsure of the future. I am in fear for what might happen next.
The Psalmist reminds us why we are to shout for joy.
- ‘Know that the Lord is God’ v 3, our God is in control, no matter what we might think, no matter how we might feel, He is God and in control now just as much as he has been through the years.
- ‘It is He who made us’ v 3, He knows what we are like, our strengths and weaknesses, our good points and our bad, every spot and pimple, because He made us, He knows us better than we know ourselves.
- ‘We are his, we are his people, the sheep of his pasture’ v 3, He made us to be his own, not to be given up on when we let Him down, or to be left if we wander off, like a good shepherd he will bring us back, like any sheep we are precious to him, in fact we are priceless.
- ‘For the Lord is good’ v 5, we serve a God who above all else is good. It is part of His nature, he cannot help but be good, and his nature is not like ours that can change like the weather, His nature is to be always, and nothing but, good.
- ‘His love endures for ever’ v 5, his nature is to love, and the object of his love is us. We are reminded at Easter of the extent of that love, when He was willing to send His own Son to die for us, to enable that loving relationship to be restored. That love is so extra-ordinary that it goes on for ever, it has no time limits.
- ‘His faithfulness continues through all generations.’ v 5. Our faithful Father God will remain with us through this and whatever the future holds, He is always by our side, He is faithful, we can be sure of that.
We belong to this marvellous God, we are His.
YouTube shows adverts which may not be appropriate to the video we have selected.